Below are a few simple exercises that I learned on my travels to India. They help to shut down the chattering mind, caffeine and sugar cravings, insomnia and indigestion. This happens when the sun energy is over extended and the moon energy is depleted.
Before we begin our sun and moon breathing exercise, let me add that most Yogi’s believe breathing through right nostril stimulates sun energy which warms the body by stimulating the digestive system to release nutrients necessary for activity and movement.
Alternatively, breathing through left nostril activates the cool energy of the moon which is needed for contemplation,meditation and relaxation.
- Sit in an upright comfortable sitting position. As far as possible, try and keep your spine straight and your shoulders relaxed but do not force your body in any way.
- Start the Moon Breathing by placing your right index finger on right nostril, thumb facing out and breathe in through left nostril. Do this 5 times.
- Then change to Sun Breathing by placing your right index finger on left nostril, thumb facing down and breathe in through right nostril .Do this 5 times
- Next, Balance the Sun and Moon breathing by placing your right index finger on right nostril, thumb facing out and breathe in through left nostril.
- Then, place your thumb on right nostril and right index finger on left nostril and breathe in through right nostril.
- Next, place thumb on right nostril and breathe in through left nostril following with right index finger on left nostril breathing in through right nostril. Do this 5 times.
Note to self
It sounds more complicated than it actually is.
And, it is a very simple way to energise the body and shut down the over active mind.
In the west we are more inclined to breathe through the right nostril which means that we don’t chill enough!! Check it out for yourself.
I did and ooops.
But hay, today is a new day in a brand new Ireland. Hurrah!!!