Useful tips for reflexologist: Many reflexologists ask me why is it important to be aware of energy transfer between client and therapists
I reply that if we are unaware of energy transference we could become exhausted by the therapy. Effective productive and healthy therapists prepare correctly. This groundwork begins the moment we start to train as therapists, continues with every client we meet and finishes as soon as we end a treatment.
When we are training as therapists we need to be able to resolve any personal and emotive problems before embarking on a career as a therapist. As the good book says, ‘Physician heal thyself’ (Luke 4: 23) which suggests that if we have unresolved issues we will project these onto our clients. Secondly, make the therapeutic atmosphere as positive as possible. The use of blessed salt and water helps to rid any negativity that may be in the working environment. We must be mindful of our thoughts and actions, focusing only on Love and Divine inspiration in whomsoever we perceive our God to be and surrender to the natural ebb and flow of life, accepting all situations, life events and people without judgement. Finally, it is important to practice humility in all our affairs thereby denying any ego driven desires for recognition, cures and self-empowerment.
Before giving a treatment, we need to be ‘grounded’. Grounding oneself before a treatment, stills the active mind thereby allowing the therapist to be totally focused on the client and the sensations in the hands while providing a reflexology treatment.
The following exercises help with this.
- Imagine that there are roots growing from your feet extending down into the deep rich brown earth, grounding and connecting you to all living things below.
- Then, picture a beautiful golden rainbow shining on your head and flowing down through your body like river of energy and light, connecting and energising you from the heavens above.
- Breathe in this this ray of light, slowly allowing it to permeate into every cell and tissue in your body.
- Feel this energy healing, revitalizing and bathing clean, every negative thought and action.
- Next, imagine that you are blowing a bubble of this energy right around your body so that you are encased in a bubble of light and carry it with you as you go about your day. This bubble will protect you and keep you safe throughout the day
- If you feel yourself getting tired, just reconnect with your feet visualise the roots grounding you to the earth below and light of life energising you from above.
After giving a treatment time is needed for readjustment back to everyday activities following a reflexology session. Usually it helps if you let the client know that you are going to leave the room and ask them to remain seated until you return and put the reflexology couch into an upright position.Next, wash your hands and wrists under running cold water and if time and the work venues allows go outside into the fresh air and put your hands in the grass or around a tree.
When you go back into the treatment reassure your client that they can get in contact with you if they are worried about any aspect of their treatment plan. Do not engage in long conversations, rather encourage your client to have some quiet time alone before returning into the world of work
I hope this helps,
With very best wishes and gratitude,